I apologize for any confusion resulting from information released this week concerning requirements for horses imported into Ohio. Below are a few things to consider:
1. Vesicular Stomatitis cases have been reported in several states prompting quarantine of premises and counties within those states.
2. The list of quarantined counties continually changes as counties are added to and fall off the list.
3. Each state determines and enforces their own import requirements.
4. The health of all horses residing or visiting Ohio is paramount, and the State Veterinarian is responsible for issuing guidelines and requirements for horses entering Ohio.
5. The Congress is still a long way off and much can happen from now until the first horse enters the Congress grounds. Remember, it is 20 days before reining and cutting horses can enter the grounds and 31 days before the general horse show horses enter the grounds.
Ohio Quarter Horse will work with our state veterinarian to keep you informed about import requirements and how they may change as the arrival date gets closer. Our hope is that very few of you will be affected. We will answer questions as more information becomes available.
Looking forward to seeing you all soon,
Scott Myers DVM
All American Quarter Horse Congress