Magazine Flip
paykwik al online sportwetten paykasa

Exporting an APHA Stallion, Mare, or Semen to Europe? You Need a Zootechnical Certificate

Filed under: Health & Training |     

PHJ release by: Irene Stamatelakys

Planning to send a Paint Horse stallion, mare, or frozen equine semen to Europe? Take note: in addition to the previously required tests, vaccinations and health certificates, the European Union (EU) recently added a zootechnical certificate to the list of import requirements.

The new requirement went into effect November 1, 2018, and applies to new imports of purebred breeding animals and their germinal products as well as to equine semen, oocytes, and embryos already in the EU prior to that date. Geldings are exempt from requirement. The mandated zootechnical certificate must be obtained from a recognized equine breed association.

APHA is one of only four equine associations in the United States currently approved to issue zootechnical certificates. After working closely with the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) throughout the application process, the association was listed last fall as being in compliance with Article 34(1) of Regulation (EU) 2016/2012.

Because exporting horses can be challenging and time-consuming, APHA makes getting a zootechnical certificate quick and easy. Just send an email to APHA with “Zootechnical Certificate + Horse Name” in the subject line, and your request will be handled the next business day at no charge. Please provide the horse’s registered name and number, the type of shipment (horse or frozen semen), and your complete contact information. The zootechnical certificate will include pedigree and genetic health test results, if any are on file with APHA.

For more information, please contact APHA International by e-mail-

paykwik online sportwetten paykasa